A beta release is the first full version of any software that is under development. At this stage, the software is considered finished and changes are off the table. However, fixing bugs and errors in general is imperative at this point, and counting on with the actual public and users to help doing that can be very useful. In the case of ProtonMail, this email platform offers a Beta Access option with a few benefits.
Learn what ProtonMail actually is, how to enable the Beta Access options and the advantages that it brings for you as user in general.
What is ProtonMail?
ProtonMail is a secure, encrypted and privacy-focused email solution for users that worry about their confidentiality and personal information online.
By using this platform, connection and data are end-to-end encrypted from the hardware and software standpoints, thanks to different protocols. Therefore, it is almost impossible for intruders or third parties to have access and use information or keep track of users.
ProtonMail is completely anonymous and since its servers and headquarters are located in Switzerland, the UE and United States do not have jurisdiction and data requesting is illegal. Users can rest assured respecting privacy issues: no logged IPs, self-destructing messages, SSL-based encryption protocol and more as technologies that protect personal data, browsing history, IP address and messages.
Logging in on ProtonMail
In order to take advantage of Beta Access in ProtonMail, you obviously need an active account and to log in. To do it, follow the next steps:
- Click here or access the URL address https://protonmail.com from your preferred internet browser.
- The official ProtonMail website and homepage should appear. So you can open session and log in, click on “Log in”.
- The next step is to fill out the empty fields with the credential information. Enter your username and password and click on “Sign in” so you can access your inbox.
In case you do not have a ProtonMail account yet, go back to the homepage and click on “Sign up” and complete the registration. You will have an active account in minutes.
Enable Beta Access and try out new features in Proton Mail
Beta Access allows users to try new features respecting ProtonMail and also related platforms as ProtonDrive and ProtonCalendar. Since these beta versions include early functions, some issues might be encountered. Here is how you can enable Beta Access:
- In your inbox or in any other screen and folder in ProtonMail, click on the “Settings menu” button on the top right corner. Then click on “Beta Access”.
- The platform will show a prompt screen telling you what Beta Access is about. Click to check the “Enable Beta Access” box and then on “Apply” so changes get saved.
- In case you want to disable Beta Access due to issues or for any other reason, click on the “Settings menu” once more and uncheck the “Enable Beta Access” box. Then, click on “Apply” and Beta Access will be disabled.